Depression is a condition of general emotional dejection and withdrawal with sadness greater and more prolonged than that warranted by any objective reason.
Mild depression can often be treated using these simple, natural techniques:
- HAVE A CUP OF TEA: Hops, valerian & powered licorice are mood stabilizer. Ylang ylang, lavender, clary sage& chamomile are sedatives and can calm depression.
- ST.JOHN’S WORT: Has “magical” healing powers & can be as effective as many antidepressants for treating mild depression thanks to the hypericin it contains. It has an effect after regular usage over an extended period.
- TAKE A BREAK: Go away for a few days. Take a break from your daily routine & discover someplace new.
- SAFFRON: Just 30mg of dried saffron extract is as powerful as 20mg of the antidepressant drug Prozac, but without the side-effects.
- EXERCISE: It can give back control of the body and it’s often the first step to feeling in control of other events.
- MILK, FENNEL & HONEY: Boil 1 cup with 2 teaspoons of crushed fennel seeds, let it steep briefly, strain & sweeten with honey, sip slowly 30 minutes before going to bed.
- ESSENTIAL OILS: A simple mixture of 2 drops each of rose & lemon balm oil and 3 drops of lavender oil is perfect for a fragrance oil burner.
- NO CAFFEINE: Cut back on soft drinks. Research links caffeine, which suppresses serotonin production, to depression.
- LIGHT & COLOR: A bright, friendly environment in warm colors such as red, orange or yellow can lift spirits.
- GREAT SCENTS: A scented sachet of valerian, lavender, primrose, elder or hops placed under your pillow may help you sleep better.
- FISH OIL: Contains a fatty acid: EPA that can help chase the blues away, especially when combined with pharmaceutical antidepressants.
- VITAMIN C INTAKE: Depression which sometimes occurs just before menstruation can be caused by a vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency.