• 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
• 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
• 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
• 4 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
• 3 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
• 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
• 9 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
• 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble beef and sausage with onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, pepperoni, sugar and herbs; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 20-25 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain and return to pot. Toss with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups: 354 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 512mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat.