Ingredients for Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash: You can use cubed fresh or frozen butternut squash. Or buy a whole butternut squash. It is easy to peel with a sharp vegetable peeler. Then you trim the ends, cut in half horizontally, scoop out the seeds from the 2 chubby halves and dice. That’s it!
- Onion and Spices: What I think takes this soup to the next level is fresh good quality curry powder. It does wonders to any dish when sauteed with onion and adds an incredible orange color. Then add dried ginger and thyme.
- Coconut Milk: I use full fat canned coconut milk. It makes soups like sun dried tomato soup creamier and adds healthy fats and calories. If you are not a fan of coconut milk, use regular milk (2% or higher) or any plant-based milk like almond milk.
- Broth: I recommend low sodium (of course) vegetable broth or vegetable bouillon cubes.
How to Make Healthy Butternut Squash Soup
There is a full recipe card below.
- Preheat large heavy bottom pot or Dutch on medium heat. You want it to be hot-hot-hot. So when you add oil it gets hot right away.
- Add onion: Cook onion for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add seasonings: Add curry powder, thyme, ginger and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently. This step allows the spices to release maximum flavor.
- Add remaining ingredients: Now add butternut squash, coconut milk, stock, salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes until squash has softened. It cooks very fast.
- Blend soup: I prefer to blend with an immersion blender. Make sure to keep the blender at the bottom of the pot. You can also use a regular blender, but be aware that it can “explode” from the hot soup. Keep the center lid half open so the heat can escape.
· How to Serve, Store and Reheat Butternut Squash Soup
- Serve: Serve hot with toasted whole wheat naan bread, quinoa bread and a side of kale quinoa salad. You can add a few drops of plain yogurt (as pictured).
- Store: Butternut squash soup can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. To reheat simply simmer on low while covered (it splatters a lot).
- Freeze: Butternut squash soup freezes amazingly. Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.