In a world where everything is consumer driven, many depend on products that are convenient and quick. Why not go back to the basics? With many stores having limited products, try doing things the natural way rather than the easy way.
Goodhousekeeping.com provides these easy recipes to create your own cleaning products by using environmentally friendly ingredients that can be found within typical products you may already have at home and best of all its safe for your family to help create:
1. GLASS CLEANER
Great for: Windows and mirrors
• 2 cups water
• 1/2 cup white or cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol (70% concentration)
• 1 to 2 drops of orange essential oil, which gives the solution a lovely smell (optional)
2. ALL-PURPOSE CLEANER AND DEODORIZER
Great for: Kitchen counters, appliances, and inside the refrigerator
• 4 tablespoons baking soda
• 1 quart warm water
How to use: Pour solution on a clean sponge and wipe.
3. LAST-RESORT CLOTHING STAIN REMOVER
Great for: Badly stained washable or bleachable garments
• 1 gallon hot water
• 1 cup powdered dishwasher detergent
• 1 cup regular liquid chlorine bleach (not ultra or concentrate)
How to use: Mix and pour ingredients into a stainless steel, plastic, or enamel bowl (not aluminum). Soak garment for 15 to 20 minutes. If stain is still there, let it soak a bit longer, then wash garment as usual.
4. WHITE RING REMOVER
Great for: Anywhere you’ve accidentally left a water ring (but not on unfinished wood, lacquer, or antiques).
• One part white non-gel toothpaste to one part baking soda